For this strength series post, I’ve decided to focus on one of the most important and most commonly forgotten about body parts in our workouts. Not only do we all want to have those nice round, perky derierres, but the glutes are extremely important to keep strong to aid in back support and help with proper technique while performing other excercises as well.
For those of us that sit on our glutes all day at a desk, it is especially important for us to take the time to give this muscle group the extra attention it deserves! and it doesn’t have to be difficult or take a long period of time to achieve results.
These simple and effective excercises can be done almost anywhere and are perfect for a lower intensity workout or as an addition to a cardio day. Feel free to add in handweights while executing the squats or the glute bridge for more of a challenge.
- Donkey Kick – 15 reps each side (on all fours, lift one bent leg up and push your heel towards the sky, then bring back to 90 degrees for one rep)
- Fire Hydrant – 15 reps each side (on all fours, lift one bent leg to 90 degrees and turn knee out to the side – think dog peeing on a fire hydrant)
- Glute Bridge – 3 sets of 10 (lying on your back with knees bent and heels on the floor, lift you glutes off the ground as high as you can while having your shoulders on the ground. lower to just above the ground, and repeat for one rep)
- Chair Kick – 10 reps each side (Hold onto the back of a chair and lift one leg out straight behind you as high as possible then lower without placing back on the ground, and repeat)
- Squat Pulse – 3 sets of 10-15 (with legs just slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, get into a low 90 degree squat and pulse it out for 10-15 reps)
- Squat Kick – 3 sets of 10 each side (bend into a 90 degree squat, then as you return to standing, kick one leg out to the side, and repeat)
Again for better decriptions of the different exercises, look them up on bodybuilding.com, and also check out some of their other killer workouts!