Autumn is my most favorite season, the colors (especially back home), the crisp fresh air, comfort food etc. Every year around this time I start my pumpkin craze, and this year is no exception and last night I made Pumpkin Bran Muffins. They make a great option for a healthy breakfast on the go, they freeze great, just wrap each in plastic wrap and store in a plastic bag in the freezer. These delightful pumpkin treats are moist and pack a nice little punch. Since they are made with bran it means full of fiber. The recipe calls for dried cranberries or raisins, I didn’t have either of these ingredients and I think they turned out just fine.
Each muffin, 218 calories, 5 grams of fat
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 1½ cups honey
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups wheat bran
- ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray or use paper liners for easy clean up.
2. In an electric mixer or in a large bowl mixing by hand, add pumpkin, honey, applesauce and oil.
3. Stir in egg whites, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add wheat bran, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and mix until combined. Stir in cranberries or raisins and mix until blended
5. Fill each muffin cup just about to the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
Makes about 16 muffins (each serving, 1 muffin)
Source: Skinny Kitchen